Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Bon Courage

When she stepped on board the ship that would take her to America she was leaving behind her father and brother and the tiny grave of her first born son. She was sick for most of the voyage across the ocean. There was nothing solid under her feet, only the pitching and swaying of the waves. At the end of her journey she would be a foreigner living among people whose language and culture were different from her own. What was the basis that gave this young woman the courage to leave all that was familiar? She had the hope that her future and the future of her family would be more secure in this new nation. This was my grandmother.

When I was a little girl I would get frightened, I didn't like to try new things, but my grandmother would say to me,”Bon courage”. I didn't realize until I was much older how much courage my grandmother had. It can be hard to leave what is familiar for the unknown even if you know that what you are going towards is better than what you are leaving behind. The courageous choices my grandmother made not only affected her destiny but mine as well.

I am no longer a child yet I still have to deal with fear and anxiety when I face the unknown. In times like this I remember my Grandmother and God's faithfulness to her. I also remember the message given to Israel as they were entering the Promised Land. “Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the Lord your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.” Deuteronomy 31:6 The courage to leave what is familiar and take hold of what is unknown comes from the belief that I am not alone. I can be courageous like my grandmother when I hold onto the truth that God goes with me and will not leave me or forsake me.

Life is constantly changing. Some stages in life seem to last longer than others, but change is inevitable. I have known people who during certain times of transitions have simply gone to bed. The fear of the unknown brought depression and a desire to hide. I feel very compassionate towards those who have this struggle. I find myself going back again and again to the verses that remind me not to be afraid because God is with me.

Lord Jesus, what is not known to me is known to you. You have given me your spirit. These are the truths I hold by faith. Because I believe that you are with me I will be courageous. Thank you for not only giving me examples in your word of those who were courageous but also those who have part of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment