Thursday, January 12, 2012

Dealing With Scars

When I was seven years old I had a teacher who would regularly call on the class with this question, “Class isn't Sarah stupid.” The reason she did this was that I had learning difficulties. That was over fifty years ago but I still feel the effects of it today. I think of it as a scar on my soul. We all have scars. Some scars were inflicted on us by others some scars we put there ourselves by poor choices. My question is what do I do with these scars as a Christian.

Scars on the soul are reflected by how I see myself. Some scars threaten to hold me back from being everything God created me to be. Other scars open me up to strongholds that drain my energy and can hold me captive. As a Christians God offers me a transformed life. “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind.” Romans 12:6,7 I am not a victim, instead because of Christ, I am victorious. However, I have to take hold of that victory.

I would like a quick fix. I would like to do something one time and forever after be changed. However, what I am finding out is that the transformation that is taking place is is a lifelong journey. Not only is a lifelong journey but it is also a daily one. “Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” Psalm 19:14 Prayer by prayer, word by word, thought by thought I choose to no longer be controlled by the scars on my soul.

This transformation is taking place not because of my own determination but because I have a Redeemer. My Redeemer is the rock I go to when dealing with the effects of past pain or sin. The scars from my past cause me to feel I will never succeed they whisper messages of hopelessness in my ear. But Jesus said, “I came that you might have life and that you might have it abundantly.” By God's grace I choose to line my thoughts up with the message of hope.

Lord Jesus, by Your scars I am healed. You have given me access to the throne of Heaven and invited me to bring all my brokenness into Your healing presence. Thank you for being my Redeemer and for providing the transforming power of Your grace.




1 comment:

  1. Sarah, you are amazing. Thank you for sharing your gift of communicating with God with the rest of us that do not have that that ability.

    ReplyDelete