Monday, January 2, 2012

The Choice Is Mine

Sometimes I am afraid. I look into the future and I look at myself and I am filled with a since of  inadequacy. I can often push the feeling down by staying busy during the day but at night when my defenses are down the fear is awaken. So then what?

"Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall yet praise him, my salvation and my God." Psalm 43:5 This is were I start, I start with the truth that I am struggling. If I were to stop at that point it would begin a downward spiral but I have the option of hope. In my prayers I match the thing I am concerned about with an attribute of God. It is a purposeful choice to praise God.

"When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid." Psalm 56:3 This is the Psalm David wrote when the Philistines seized him in Gath. Goliath had been from Gath. I understand why David would have experienced fear. Fear is paralyzing because it's focus is on the things I cannot control the giants in my life that block the sun. However, when I make the conscious choice to praise God I am able to walk by faith. The last verse of Psalm 56 reflects David's deliverance not only from the circumstances but also from the fear. "For you have delivered my soul from death, yes,my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of life."

"Fear not, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom." Luke 12:32 Jesus had told them before this that they were not to be anxious but instead they were to consider how God provided for the ravens. Anxiety often causes me, like the disciples, to focus on the wrong thing. Jesus invites me to rest in God's love and turn my focus to seeking his kingdom.

Lord Jesus, help me take my eyes off of myself and and the things that cause my heart to be downcast and anxious. Help me instead to rest in your love and the Father's provision. I choose to praise you for all you have done. Today let my energy not be spent in fear but by faith let me seek your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment