Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Missing Verse

I finally found the missing verse!

I was just a little girl when I memorized the twenty third Psalm. Maybe it would more correct to say “tried” to memorize the twenty third Psalm. I didn't have any problem with the first two verses but I always seemed to lie down in the green pastures take a nap and wake up in the valley of the shadow of death. I knew something else happened in between but I could never remember what it was. Yesterday I found the missing pieces to the puzzle, or verse to the Psalm.

At work we have a calendar that gives a Bible verse for each day. I use that verse for daily meditation. Yesterdays verse was. Psalms 23:2 “He restores my soul. He guides me along the right path for his name's sake.” Restores was in italics so it stuck in my mind. So that’s the order of the verses! He is my shepherd so I don't need to want. He makes me lie down in green pastures and leads me by still waters. The word restore means “to repair, renovate, or return to a former condition.” As I meditated on this verse it became a prayer for my soul and the souls of those I love.

“He guides me along the right path for his name sake.” What a relief! I am really not good at following a map. I often have trouble finding my way and at times in total frustration have just given up and gone home. This verse tells me that I have a guide who is leading me the right way, for someone like me who knows how it feles to get lost this is just plain good news. I always experience such great relief when after complicated directions someone takes pity on me and says, ”Do you want me to lead you there?” “Yes!,” is my immediate response.

I'm almost glad I've struggled all these years trying to remember the correct order of the verses in Psalm twenty three because the blessing of finally seeing this picture of the Shepherd's care for me has been so comforting. It the course of life I often find my soul in need of repair and restoration. I don't know how to restore my soul but the Shepherd does. It's during times like this that I loose my way. When I get turned around and can't find my way how precious it is to find that the Shepherd is there to lead me. He leads me for his name's sake because I belong to Him.

Lord Jesus, thank you. Thank you for giving me rest. In the rush and hurry of life thank you for still waters where I can be refreshed. Oh Lord, You know how during the course of life my soul needs to be returned to it's the former condition. I am so grateful for a Shepherd who is able to do this for me. Thank for letting me belong to You and for guiding me in the direction I need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment