Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Found

Hide and go Seek now that was a game I was good at. In fact I was so good at that game that one time I hid so well I was never found. I could see them seeking me, I could hear them calling but they did not find me. Then it became quiet but I kept hiding. The shadows began to gather but I kept hiding. I began to get hungry but I kept hiding. Finally, cold, cramped and hungry I came out of hiding only to find everyone inside eating dinner. The game had ended for everyone else my victory at not being found was a hollow victory.

I have realized recently that I developed a habit of hiding when life got unpleasant. It seemed innocent enough. When I was afraid I went to my hiding place to feel safe. When I my feelings were hurt I went to my hiding place to comfort myself. When life seemed overwhelming I would go to my hiding place and well I hid until I felt safe again. It seemed harmless enough until I realized that my hiding place was really a shrine where I worshiped at the alter of a false god.

I realized this because my hiding place began to feel more like a prison than a safe place. I began to have a since of being lost. I felt cold, cramped and hungry. The problem was I couldn't figure how to stop hiding I was so very good at it. So I did the only thing I knew to do I called out for help! To my relief ,unlike when I was a child there was still someone seeking me.

My hidden shrine had become such a habit that I didn't recognize it for what it really was. I thought of it as simply a natural place to go when life got hard. When Jesus found me suddenly the hiding place was illumined and I could see clearly the idol I was bowing before. The empty security was replaced by His peace.

Lord Jesus, thank You for not giving up on me. Thank You that You are the Good Shepherd. Thank You because You are my true hiding place and whenever I am afraid I can trust in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment