Sunday, January 22, 2012

I Washed Her Feet

She asked if she could talk to me. Then with her eyes downcast she told me about her struggles. As I listened a thought came to my mind, “You should wash her feet.” Because it was such an unusual idea I decided to pray about, the idea wouldn't go away. Not much was said afterward and I had no idea how what I had done impacted her life until after her death when I found her journal.

June 28
Amazing things happened to me today. This afternoon Sarah and I sat in the swing talking and sharing and I shared, risking our friendship. I wanted to share these things with someone other than a therapist. Was there someone I could share my heart with who I wasn't paying who wouldn’t reject me? Sarah listened, comforted, and shared some things of her own. I cried and then we went on with our activity. Later she said there was something she wanted to do after everyone went to bed.

After supper I asked her what it was she said, ”In response to what you told me, I'm going to wash your feet.” I was flabbergasted, totally, and then so touched by her that I began to cry. It was an act of love I have never experienced before and I was totally humbled by the experience. There on her knees my dear sweet friend, washed my feet. It was an experience I will never forget. It reached in and crumbled a wall of distrust I never expected to end in this life. I went to bed in tears and awed by such an act. But God blessed it because I saw a person loving me, honoring me, caring as no one ever had. It softened my resistance and broke my heart towards God. I went to bed praying , praising and thanking God.

I didn't know the impact my washing her feet would have on my friend's life but God did. I didn't know that when she talking to me in her heart she had been questioning if anyone would accept her if they really knew her but God did. I didn't know that when I chose to prayerfully do something that might make me look foolish would help set her free but God did.

Lord Jesus thank You for leading me by Your example. Lord, You are the only one who fully knows me and You have chosen to accept me. Help me to represent You well in a world full of hurting people by humble acts of kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment