Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Divine Perspective

When I read through the stories of Old Testament people I feel as if God has invited me to see through His eyes. Having this omniscient view of their life I can see how the choices they make effect both them and their descendants. I saw this recently when I was reading the story of King Asa.

At the beginning of his reign he did what was good and right in the eyes of the Lord his God and things went well for him. When the Ethiopians came out against him he cried out to God and said, ”O Lord, there is none like you to help, between the mighty and the weak. Help us, O Lord our God, for we rely on you, and in your name we have come against this multitude.” 2 Chronicles 14: 11 God did help him. When the prophet Azaraih came to him and said,”Take courage! Do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded.” He responded by putting away the detestable idols from the land. Unfortunately, this was not the end of Asa's story.

When Asa had been king for thirty-six years, Baasha king of Israel, went to war with him but this time instead of calling on the Lord to help him he took the treasures out of the house of the Lord to hire the king of Syria to help him. Again he was visited by a prophet. This is the divine perspective the prophet gave. “The eyes of the Lord run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to give strong support to those whose heart is blameless toward him.” Asa became angry and put the prophet in the stocks in prison.

Unlike reading about King Asa's life I can only see the past chapters of my life and the one I am in the process of living. However, like King Asa , I also encounter threatening circumstances and have to choose where I will turn for help. God invites me to trust Him and rely on His strength but there is also the pull to trust in myself to find escape in other ways from the pressures of life. The pressure is real the choice is mine to make.

Lord Jesus, I want to be someone who chooses to turn to you. Thank you for inviting me day by day to have divine perspective. Please grant me the grace to put my faith in you. When your eyes are on me let me put my hope in you and your unfailing love.

No comments:

Post a Comment