Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Wrong Time?

The phone rang. It was my daughter calling, “Mom, can you tell me what time it is?” This was a strange question for her to ask because she is in a different time zone from me. When I told her the time she told me why she had asked. The time on her phone was an hour early. She had gotten to her classes before the doors were unlocked.

This began our discussion about the Sovereignty of God. I suggested that if she really believed that God was Sovereign that in stead of being angry and frustrated perhaps she could pray and ask God why He wanted her at school an hour early. I told her how we all thought we trusted God until what we planed or expected was altered. When our plans change without our permission how we respond shows whether we really trust a Sovereign God or not.

I also shared with her that one way we learn to trust God is when He leads us into situations where we have no control. We learn to trust when we humble ourselves and submit to His Lordship. I don't think it's a natural thing to trust God. I think we trust more in the clock on our cell phone than we trust in the Sovereignty of God but we don't know that until the clock gives us the wrong time.

My daughter called me later that morning. I could hear the excitement in her voice. She had been introduced to a man and a concept that could be life changing to her. I asked her if she thought that was why she had gotten to school an hour early. I was surprised by her response. She told me,”No”. She thought she had gotten there early so that she could be reminded of God's Sovereignty.

Lord Jesus, You and You alone are the Sovereign Lord. With You there are no accidents. Thank You for teaching how to trust You. Thank You for inviting me to find rest for my soul by trusting in Your Sovereignty.

No comments:

Post a Comment