Thursday, January 26, 2012

Transformation From Larvae To Dragon Fly?

As I was walking along the creek bank I noticed a cocoon. It had no external beauty but I knew it held life . I watched as the life within struggled to emerge. It would have been an easy thing for me to simply tear open the cocoon and let it's prisoner free but in doing so I would have also caused it's death so instead I watched the struggle for life. Finally, a dragonfly emerged but what a odd looking creature with it's fat body and tiny wings. The struggle was not over but the struggle was not in vain. The wings became transparent,beautiful and detailed in their design. As the wings increased in strength and beauty the body changed into an elegant slender shape. Suddenly the crusade for freedom was over the dragon fly took flight and was gone.

I have been meditating on, memorizing, and puzzling over Romans six. What does it mean that I have been baptized into Christ Jesus' death? How can I walk in newness of life? What does it look like to be united with him in a resurrection like his? When I was a little girl I would hear fairy tales and there would be the wave of a magic wand or the sprinkle of fairy dust and poof a pumpkin was transformed into a carriage. God calls us to walk in newness of life but there is no fairy dust or magic wand.

So is my next option to follow a strict list of ,”Do this”and “Don't do that?” In my imagination I can see an ugly larvae deciding that it's time for him to morph into an elegant dragon fly. What rules does he have to follow to make this happen? Does metamorphosis occur because of the strong determination of a larvae? I think not. Nor do I believe that our transformation into the likeness of the risen Christ is because we have followed a list of rules and regulations.

No magic fairy dust , no strict adherence to the law what then will bring about identification with the risen Christ? I find in Romans six that I am to consider myself as dead to sin and alive to God in Christ Jesus. Because of this I am to present my members to God as instruments for righteousness and not to let sin reign in my mortal body and obey it's passions . The struggle that I have is a struggle to surrender and to obey the Spirit of the Living God. This wrestling to no longer obey the passions of my flesh but instead to become slave of God becomes my act of worship. I feel this struggle will never end but I know by faith that the end result is strength and beauty and a transformed life.

Lord Jesus, You came that I might have abundant life. By faith I take hold the grace You
offer to surrender my will to and to be transformed into your likeness. Your word says that strength and beauty are in your sanctuary. Please, Lord Jesus, may You find both strength and beauty within the sanctuary of my heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment