Wednesday, January 18, 2012

It's Possible

Do somethings seem impossible to you? They do to me. If I can't figure out a solution to a situation then it's hard for me to believe there is one. If the problem is has gone on for a long time the hope of resolving it becomes dimmer. If I have tried solving the problem to no avail I just want to give up.

I hate to admit it but sometimes it's people I want to give up on. That's why I love the story of Jesus healing the demon-possessed man in the country of the Gerasenes. Talk about an impossible situation! I can't even imagine what it was like to live where there was a demon possessed man who lived among the tombs and was crying out night and day bruising himself with stones.

The people around him tried to deal with the problem. They bound him with chains and shackles but he wrenched the chains apart, and he broke the shackles in pieces. No one had the strength to subdue him. It would be very hard to ignore something like this happening in your neighborhood. I think at this point I would be having a conversation with a real estate person.

Jesus is introduced to the scene. When this man saw Jesus from afar, he ran and fell down before him. Does that sound like worship, to fall at the feet of Jesus? He then cried out with a loud voice and said,”What have you to do with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I adjure you by God, do not torment me.”Mark 5:1-20 Jesus sent the Legion of demon's out of the man. When the people who'd been living with this man heard what Jesus did they came to see what happened. What they found was the man who had been tormenting them and had himself been tormented by a legion of demons sitting there, clothed and in his right mind. The Bible says that it made the people afraid and they begged Jesus to leave. It seems to me they should of been afraid of the man had been like and grateful to Jesus for changing him.

Lord Jesus, sometimes when I am faced with situations that seem impossible I loose sight of You. I forget that with You all things are possible. I am humbled by the picture of this demon-possessed man bowing before you because he recognizes Your power and I do not. Help me remember that though there are things that are impossible for me there is nothing impossible for You.

1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute! Hold up there! Are you saying that I don't HAVE to have all the solutions? And that God has the whole situation under control? Are you SURE about that? 'Cause, I'm pretty darn good at fixing things. I'm certain that God wants me to handle this.
    oh. wait. this problem is bigger than me. I guess I'll give it to Him.

    ReplyDelete