Sunday, July 29, 2012

Stinky Feet

"Would you please get your stinking feet out of my face!"

 I have seen pictures of what the table for the last supper might have looked like and it seemed to me that the dirty feet of the person next to you would be a real problem. The day must have been exhausting for everyone a lot had taken place that day and now they were tired. They didn't feel like washing their own feet much less anyone else's. I've had days when I felt like that too.

This was to be Jesus' last meal with them and I am so touched by the words, "Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end." (John 13:1) How did He express this love? He got up, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around His waist and started washing their stinking feet.

I find that this happens when I live in community with others they become familiar my "stinky feet" and I with theirs. "Stinky feet" happen because although I am a Christian I still walk everyday in the world and I get dirty in the process. In community that dirt is exposed.

It is an act of humility to wash someone else's feet, not just humility it is love. It is also an act of humility to have someone else wash my dirty feet. I'm not sure which I struggle the most with having to confront someone else's "dirt" or having someone confront me with mine.

Lord Jesus, You showed me how to live in community. You showed me by example how to love others. Please help me to humbly love others by not ignoring their need to have their "feet washed" and help me to be humble when someone confronts me.

No comments:

Post a Comment