Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sure Footing

My son Andrew was three years old and was determined that he was able to go by himself. That was a problem because were he was going was an ice covered hill. I too was going up the hill but I had chosen a path that still had unfrozen grass so I had traction. Andrew chose solid ice.

Soon he began to slip and because he had no traction he continued slipping. Seeing him in distress I went to help him. I firmly took his hand and together we made it to the top of the hill.

There have been several times in my life when I have felt myself slipping. Times when I have felt I had no traction under my feet and I have been grateful for the verse that says," The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds him with His hand."(Psalm 37: 23,24)

If my confidence were only in my ability I would be like my three year old son trying to walk up an ice covered hill. When I put my trust in God He establishes my steps. Because He holds my hand even when I stumble, and I do stumble, I am not I am not cast headlong.

Father, I do slip. I often find myself stumbling along the path. Sometimes on this journey I fall but my confidence is not in my own ability but in Your promise to hold my hand. Thank You for letting this journey not be based on my strength but on Your faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment