Monday, July 23, 2012

When the Landscape of Life Changes

I looked Psalm 46:2 up in several translations and this is what I found:
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea. New International Version
So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea. New Living Translation
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea. New American Standard Bible


Honestly, how would I feel if the earth should give way,quake or change? When what I am standing on is no longer stable? And what about when mountains fall, crumble or slip into the sea? When the landscape of my life changes and the things I thought were stable are simply no longer there, how would I respond? Panic is a word that comes to mind. Panic by definition is a sudden overwhelming fear that produces hysterical or irrational behavior. When what I'm standing on is no longer solid panic would be a good word to define how I would feel.

It is interesting to me that the the verse that precedes this is, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." God is the one I flee to for safety. The truth is I do get afraid and there are times when I feel very vulnerable when this happens I go to God as my place of safety. He is my source of strength when I am in danger. Even when what I am standing on gives way, quakes and changes the God I have put my trust in remains secure.

Mountains are an earthly picture of strength so when they fall,crumble or slip into the sea it is terrifying! When my heart panics because what I thought was stable begins to shake I also find that God comes to my rescue. He is a very present help in time of need. God is my strength. I sometimes think I'm strong but take away all my props and the truth is made evident, I need a source of strength outside myself. In times like this I do not turn to God I RUN to Him.

Oh Father, because I have found You to be be my source of strength in times of danger I will not fear. Because You are the high tower, the fort the fortress where I have always found safety in times of danger I will not fear. I am weak and defenseless but You have opened  wide Your arms and and invited me to find refuge in Your strength and so when the landscape of my life changes I will not fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment