Friday, July 20, 2012

Harmony

"A man's steps are directed by the Lord. How then can anyone understand his own way." Proverbs 20:24

"Alamand left with your left hand, here we go with a right and left grand." The square dancers are going one way when suddenly the caller tells them to change directions. A good square dancer has two components. First, he learns each part of the dance. Second, he learns to listen to the caller who tells him what to do next.

If a dancer doesn't learn each part, he will stand there unsure of what to do next while everyone else bumps into him. If he learns each part but doesn't learn to listen, he might do the right thing but at the wrong time. Whitout the two componets workig together, the square breaks down and the dance comes to a stop.

Sometimes I think about this when I think about the Christian life. First, I have to learn how to walk with Christ. I read and meditate on God's word and in doing so I gain understanding. Second, I must have faith. God is the one who directs my steps and to be honest I just don't always understand the direction He is leading me in. Faith is when I consider God worthy of my trust and therefore go when He says go even if I don't understand.

Just like in the dance, if these two parts aren't working together there is chaos. However, when I practice both listening to the Lord and obeying Him my life flows in harmony with His plans.

Father, give me the determination to learn Your word and the humility to listen to Your way. Please help me live my life in harmony with Your will.

1 comment: