Monday, July 2, 2012

"Who are YOU?"

"Who are YOU?" said the Caterpillar.
This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied, rather shyly, "I--- I hardly know, sir, just at present--- at least I know who I WAS when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then." Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland


 I realize that often I have attempted to understand who I am in relationship with others. "I am the the third of nine children and the oldest girl in my family." That was who I saw myself  as a little girl but I have changed several times since then.


Sometimes I introduce myself by the difficulties I have known. Everyone has difficulties of some kind but if  I only let people see me through that lens it is far to limiting. The hard things I have encountered in life are not who I am they are simply tools that have been used to shape who I am. 

I remember the day my son brought the girl who was to become his wife home to introduce her to the family. I was intensely interested in knowing who she was. I spent the whole morning finding work I could do in the front yard so I would be there when they drove up. My understanding of who she was began with the understanding that this was someone whom my son had come to love.

"Who are YOU?" I understand how Alice in Wonderland would have a hard time with this question. I have found that the only way I can truly understand who I am is to see my reflection in my Heavenly Father's eyes. Every morning when I look into His word I see my relationship to Him. I find healing for my soul. But most of all I realize that my identity is that I am loved.

Lord Jesus, thank You that I can find my identity in You. Thank You for Your redeeming love and that I am not who I was. Morning after morning as I with an unveiled face behold Your glory I am being transformed into Your image by the power of Your Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment