Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Perspective,Perspective, Perspective

"I'm just not feeling it." I have heard this expression used when talking about someones spiritual walk and I can identify with them. There have been times when I have been emotionally bankrupt and yet because of what I've learned from studying the Scripture I keep going.

Having the eternal perspective that I gain through reading the Bible makes all the difference when I encounter spiritual dry times in my life. For instance I read that in the life of Hezekiah, "God left him to test him and to know everything that was in his heart." (2 Chron. 32:31) I confess that during difficult times I have been appalled at what has been revealed. I see that God uses these times as part of His work in transforming my heart.

When John the baptist was locked up in prison he sent word to Jesus and asked, "Are you the One we've been expecting, or are we still waiting?" Jesus responded by pointing John to the prophecies of Isiah that he was fulfilling. The prophecies pointed to the fact that the wretched of the earth had been given a Savior. John remained in prison and was beheaded. The truth of the gospel was not diminished by the things John suffered.

The disciples were on the Sea of Galilee in a storm. The little boat they were in was being tossed back and forth by the waves. They were fighting for their lives and Jesus was asleep in the boat. When they woke him with their cry, "Don't you care that we are about to perish!" they discovered his power over the storm. They had to recognize their weakness before they could recognize his strength. Their panic became an opportunity to know peace.

Lord Jesus, help me see my life through the lens of faith. When, "I'm just not feeling it," help me remember You're still at work. When my heart is tested and sin is exposed help me to humble myself. Lord help me to live my life based on Your promises and not according to my circumstances. Please let the storms of life while exposing my weakness reveal Your strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment