Friday, July 22, 2011

Behold the extravagance of God!

I was shocked when I came into her hospital room. She looked so weak. I knew she had had surgery, but I wasn't expecting to see her so weak.

After greeting me, she directed my attention to the beautiful flower arrangement that had been sent to her. I have never forgotten the words she said, “Behold the extravagance of God! God created this beauty whether anyone saw it or not." What my Aunt was doing was what she has always done for me. She wasn't just directing my attention to the flowers, but to the Creator.

Together my Aunt and I looked at the beautiful flowers. Until she called my attention to them, they had simply been part of the hospital room. Suddenly, while looking at these beautiful flower, my heart was lifted. I would not have taken the time to noticed the beauty that God had created if she hadn't pointed it out. Yet the flowers would have been there with or without my appreciation. I realized that day that I was surrounded not only by the extravagant beauty God has created, but also by the extravagant love He has given me.

"Be still, and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10) God is God whether I see it or not. Sometimes I get so caught up in what I'm doing that I loose sight of Him. This usually causes me anxiety. When I become overwhelmed I go sit in the woods and quiet myself. My goal is simple. I look until I can see. I listen until I can hear. “His invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived ,ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made." (Romans 1:20) When I take the time to enjoy the beauty God has created I rest in His love for me as well.

Last night I had trouble sleeping. There are so many things I have no control over. Sometimes in the night I feel so vulnerable. Last night was one of those nights. I got up and went to sit on my front porch. There was a quiet, but not a silence. I could hear nature singing. Next, my eyes began to focus on the silhouette of the trees that surrounded me. One by one the stars can into view. "The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork. Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard." (Psalm 19:1-4) I went to bed at peace knowing that all this beauty was here whether I saw it or not. I rested in the extravagant love of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment