Friday, July 8, 2011

Dealing with darkness with the light of God's grace

"Shut da door, keep out da devil. Shut da door, keep da devil in da dark. Shut da door,keep out da devil. Light da candle every thing alright, light da candle every things alright."

I learned this song at camp but I wonder is this really the best way to live in a broken world?

When I hear about child abuse or see the cruelty that happens around the world I wonder how I'm supposed to respond. When I look at the effects of my own poor judgement and sin and the poor judgement and sin of my loved ones I know that there is brokenness in my own world. It doesn't seem like a door that separates me and those I love from the dark but a pulsating membrane that is about to erupt at any minute.

I have responded to the threat of darkness in three different ways. I have tried not only to "shut da door" I have tried to build a wall. The wall consists of rules and regulations, good good rules and godly regulations. I have tried not only to live this way but make everyone around me live this way too. I had their best interest at heart. I wanted them safe behind my wall. I really meant well but after I studied the book of Galatians I realized I wasn't living my life based on God's grace but my own effort. I had placed myself in bondage. The bondage of trying to escape sin by following the law.

There is another way I have tried to deal with a world I can't control. Give up. If I become numb it won't bother me anymore. What is the use of denying myself when simple indulgence will re-leave the tension? I don't want to think anymore I want to be amused. I want to be entertained. Does it really matter if I entertain myself with the world? The pressures of this world are crushing me so if the world offers me relief why not take it? The problem is bondage. When I take the worlds remedy I find myself a slave to sin, over and over and over again!

Living in a hurting broken world  yet experiencing love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self -control is the third way. Not shutting the door in fear,or building a wall to keep safe, or numbing the pain, but with deep humility walking in the Spirit. Surrendered to Jesus, admitting I'm not in control but He is. No longer wanting to shut out the darkness but by surrendering to His Spirit becoming a light in the darkness. This is real freedom.

Lord Jesus, sometimes I'm afraid of the darkness. You told us in that you would send the Helper not just to be with us but to live in us. I humble myself before Your throne let Your promise be a reality in my life. Let Your light be manifest in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment