Thursday, July 28, 2011

"The dream" or soul rest?

The pilgrimage took place every Summer. My father had moved to the South when he married but the rest of his family lived up North.Often these trips began at night when it was cooler and the children would hopefully be asleep.

I was young and my soul was at rest. I would wake to the low murmur of my parents talking in the front seat. Looking out the windows all I could see was the flicker of an occasional car on the road. I didn't have to ask where we were my Daddy was in the drivers seat and I had complete trust in him. Sometimes the car would break down. We may have even gotten lost a time or two but I wasn't worried my Daddy was in control.

As I began to grow older I began to have "the dream"." The dream" goes something like this, I am behind the steering wheel. I am a child and my feet don't touch the pedals. I'm not sure which is the brake and which is the gas. Suddenly I wake up in a panic. I found out this was a universal dream when my daughter was five and woke me up screaming. She told me what she had dreamed and I held her in my arm with perfect understanding.

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30 When I was a young child I trusted Jesus but as I became older I began to have "the dream". "The dream" went like this I am behind the steering wheel all my family is in the back seat. I am in control. The problem is I don't really know where I am going or even how to work the car. I have no rest for my soul but instead a deep since of anxiety. Then from somewhere in the recesses of my memory I hear a voice calling to me "Come to me Sarah, and I will give you rest for your soul".

Lord Jesus, I come to you. I want rest for my soul. I want your yoke, mine is killing me. I want your burden, mine is crushing me. I want you.

No comments:

Post a Comment