Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Where does your comfort come from?

He came in from his morning run drenched in sweat."Sarah, do you know what Esau and Hebrews 11 have in common." "Yes", I said smiling I think I do."

After he showered we talked about the comparison between Esau and Hebrews 11. In the book of Genesis there is the story of two brothers Jacob and Esau. Though they were twins Esau was born first earning him the birthright of the firstborn. However, when they became adults he showed how little value he placed in that birthright. He had come in from the field exhausted and hungry. His brother had cooked some red stew. He was willing to sell his birthright for comfort of a bowl of stew to satisfy his hunger.

The book of Hebrews describes people who were sure of what they hoped for and confident about what they didn't see. They were willing to suffer the loss of worldly comfort to attain the promises made by God. It says of Moses,"He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward." Hebrews 11:26  Goes onto tell about people who were stoned, sawn in two,tortured, refusing to accept release,so that they might rise again to a better life. How ever different this is from Esau who was willing to let go of something eternal for a temporal comfort.

My friend told of his own struggles. How in trying to deal with his own pain he had turned to the flesh and how it had held him in bondage for so many years. In recent years he had been convicted of this and was now  by God's grace is attempting to walk by faith instead of turning to the flesh. In fact, this was why he had taken up running he said it was symbolic of  his faith. Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." I think the sin that clings so closely is my lack of faith. Like Esau instead of running the race I want to sit down and eat something!

As I thought about this I was reminded of Chantel Hobbs. She was two hundred pounds overweight. Trapped by her obesity. She cried out to God and He answered her. For the first time in her life she realized she had a choice. By faith she began to do the work that was required to be set free.

Again and again I see this choice in my life. Walking by faith involves effort. Often it involves giving up my comfort idol,buffeting my body and making it my slave. I want to be like Moses who chose God over the fleeting pleasures of sin. It is interesting to me that Chantel like my friend now runs in marathons.Perhaps I might take up running too.

No comments:

Post a Comment