Saturday, July 16, 2011

Let's go down to the river to pray

"As I went down to the river to pray studying about that good old way and who will wear the starry crown, Good Lord,show me the way!"

As soon as they put her in my arms I was in love. Could I have ever been loved as much as I now loved this helpless baby? When I became a mother I began to learn about humility. The posture of humility is to bow down. Humility involves laying aside your rights for another. When I became a mother I lay aside my rights to do what I wanted when I wanted.Basic rights like sleeping and eating. She was oblivious to the fact that I was willing to die for her. All this done for a helpless baby who could do nothing for me.

"As I went down to the river to pray studying about that good old way and who will wear the starry crown, Good Lord, show me the way!"

 "...in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves,which is yours in Christ Jesus,who though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being in the likeness of men, And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross." Philippians 2:4-8

"Oh sinners, let's go down, let's go down, come on down. Oh sinners let's go down. Down to the river to pray."

While writing this devotional my husband has been talking to me. Every time he spoke it was like the popping of a balloon and what I was going to write would disappear. Is it possible that God was inviting me to act on this idea and not just write about it?

"As I went down to the river to pray studying about that good old way and who would the starry crown, Good Lord, show me the way!"

"Having loved his own who were in the world he now showed them the full extent of his love."John 13:1b His disciples were having an argument about who was to be the greatest in the kingdom. Jesus knew it was to be his last night with them before he suffered and died. He chose this night to reveal himself to them." He laid aside his outer garments, and taking a towel, tied it around his waist. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was wrapped around him." John 13:4,5

"Oh Sarah, let's go down, let's go down, come on down. Oh Sarah, let's go down, down to the river to pray."

I am a waitress. My prideful heart has many opportunities to be revealed in this job. The latest exposure  came when my boss had to reprimand me for being careless. I have never been detail oriented. In fact I sometimes cross my eyes while dotting my t's! When I was a little girl if you had asked me what I wanted to be when I was old I would never chosen to be a waitress. Yet here I am. What I am finding is that is the perfect laboratory to learn humility.

Lord Jesus, I want to follow you. I believe that somewhere in this picture of humility I will also find the mystery of love. I think the greatest mystery of all is that you would love me!

No comments:

Post a Comment