Friday, July 29, 2011

The effects of child like faith

Her laugh was contagious. I was honored when she choose me to be her prayer partner. That was when I learned her story.

My friend had heart surgery in her early twenties. Life had not been easy for her yet she had a child like faith in God. She explained to me that facing her mortality at such a young age had given her a deeper understanding that God was in charge. She had learned to rest in His love. The evidence of her trust was her ability to laugh.

My friend lived life to the fullest. Her passion caused others to want to be with her. We were at a party she was giving when I made the statement,"I guess we'll just have to wait till heaven to finally get a visit in." From the way she looked at me I was afraid I had offended her. I never saw her again. She died just a few days latter. I think she knew her end was near.

At her funeral the preacher read a letter she had written for the occasion. I will never forget the opening line. She said, "I'll bet you never thought you'd ever really be sitting here at my funeral." It was true. Even though we all knew she had suffered with a weak heart. She was so alive.

A stain glass window for the church was given in her memory. Sitting in the church with the sun shining through the glass casting it's colorful shadow I remember my friend. She lived her life with childlike faith. Sitting there warmed by the light coming through the window I remember the words from Psalm 131

O Lord, my heart is not lifted up; my eyes are not raised too high; I do not occupy myself with things to great and too marvelous for me. But I have calmed and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child is my soul within me...

Lord Jesus, I too want to trust you with child like faith. I want to rest in you. I want your light to shine through me and cast joyful colors all around. Oh yes, and I want to laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment