Friday, August 19, 2011

Divine appointments

I don't believe in chance. I do believe in a Sovereign God. I guess that's why I believe in Divine appointments.

Divine appointments don't come with trumpets announcing them but sometimes with a simple prayer,"Lord what do You want me to do?” Once I was trying to get a photograph of my children at the mall. The photography kiosk was closed so I started praying for guidance. That's when I met a woman from out of town who was a new Christian. Her son was dying in the hospital. I ended up spending the next day at the hospital with her simply being her Christian sister. I sat with her, prayed with her, cried with her. I was with her when she said goodbye to her son for the last time. It was a Divine appointment.

Another time I was at the grocery store. My groceries were in the trunk I was driving away when I saw him. A man laying under his car. I got there the same time his wife did. She began shaking him violently. I was concerned that this might hurt him and ask if I could help. I was there, holding his head as he took his last breath. The couple had been from out of town. I spent the rest of the day with man's widow as we waited for her family to come. She was a Christian and I sat at the hospital with her, praying with her, crying with her, simply being her Christian sister. It just seemed like my assignment for that day.

Once I met my Divine appointment in the form of a thirteen year old boy standing in the middle of my path. I was taking  a walk in my neighborhood. From that simple meeting came a deep friendship. Over the course of years he became part of my life. I was there when his son was born. I have been with him through his times of joy and times of deep sorrow. It all began with a prayer. I had met his mother day before and she told about her son. The next morning I had written in my prayer journal, "Lord, if you want me to be part of this boy's life put him in the middle of my path." So God did, literally, put him in the middle of my path.

Father, I do believe that You are the Sovereign Lord. Please help me live my life with an open heart. Show me how to serve You in my generation. Not seeing the interruption of my plans as an irritation but instead and invitation to a Divine appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment