Friday, August 5, 2011

The key to the dungeon

I can't believe it happened again! This time Jack wanted not only me to go on his Plgrim's Progress, but his mother as well. Once more I was reluctant to leave the comfort of the couch for the journey into the woods.

Jack had been excited to see that I had written about my last journey with him, and he wanted to do it again. Into the woods we went. Deeper and deeper into the woods we went. "I added more,” Jack said. "I can tell,” I responded.

Suddenly, Jack stopped. "You are now in the dungeon of Giant Despair. Pretend it's dark and you feel hopeless and you can't see a way out." It wasn't that hard to pretend. I had been feeling that way all week. I did feel I was being held captive by something bigger than me, and I was having a hard time getting free.

Jack bent down and picked up a stick."This is the only key that can get you out of the giant's dungeon. This key is God's promises." I had forgotten. I had forgotten that I needed to meditate on God's promises. I had just been drifting with the situations that overwhelmed me. It took my eight year old grandson holding up a stick to set me free.

That night I was tucking Jack into bed. "You've been going through some hard things, haven't you?" Suddenly Jack looked very vulnerable and nodded his head yes. "Remember what you told me in the woods today about the key? It's true." I told him I would bring him a box of promises I had from God's word. "We can read one every night. It will help all of us stay out of Giant Despair’s dungeon."

Lord Jesus, I keep forgetting the things You’ve told me. I keep finding myself imprisoned by fear and doubt. Thank You for sending me an eight year old grandson who knew where to find the key.

2 comments:

  1. This was very timely for me. Thanks, Sarah and Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night's promise was John 15:7. I love that the promises are in KJV, because no matter how smart that 8 year old kid is, it takes some retranslating before he can break through the language to understand the meaning. And you know, there's no better way to learn than to teach. What a wonderful gift you've given to my son, and to his mommy. What a wonderful gift God gave to me, not only contained in that box of promises, or in my beautiful children, but in my incredible Mommy. I love you.

    ReplyDelete