Thursday, August 18, 2011

Making wise the simple

It all began with a statement I made to my Mother when I was thirteen. "Mom, I want to have more faith." "That's easy Sarah, faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. I'll wake you up tomorrow and you can begin reading your Bible with me."

It was forty five years ago I began this journey of reading God's word. Mother was right it has increased my faith. It has become my passion. "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart." Hebrews 4:11 I have discovered that while I was reading God's word it was reading me.

Often when friends come over I see them checking out my book selves. I sometimes feel a little embarrassed, my friends are avid readers. I have heard them say that you can tell a lot about a person by the books they have in their library. My problem is that I am dyslexic and reading isn't easy for me. That's why I am so amazed when it comes to reading the Bible. This seems to be the exception. I plan my day around when I will be able to read it. I resonate with the verses in Psalm 19 "The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart...More to be desired are they than gold,even much fine gold; sweeter than honey and drippings of the honeycomb."

My life has been shaped by my reading of God's word."All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3:16,17 When I read I inhale deeply of the breath of God.

Nine years ago I drove my son to college. "Mom, you ought to write." I smiled because I know that if you are going to be a writer you can't be someone like me, you need to be smart. I knew I knew I could speak and I knew I wanted to share the treasures I had discovered from God's word but I also knew I couldn't write. Nine years later my son set up this Blog for me and said,"Mom, you ought to write."

When Andrew set up the Blog for me I was studying 1 Corinthians. That's why I am writing this Blog. What I read was, "For consider your calling, brothers; not many of you were wise according to worldly standers, not many were powerful, not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in this world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in this world to shame the strong." When I read these verses I felt qualified.

Lord Jesus, I come to you in all my simplicity. By faith I want to share the treasures of your word.


1 comment:

  1. Dearest Sarah, I feel like I am feasting my heart on something precious when I read your blogs. This morning's blog was especially meaningful. I am going to call Pam and have her print it out for your Dad. I love you so, Mom

    ReplyDelete