Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Truth that goes beyond the circumstances

"Let me tell you what the truth is!" Then the list of circumstances began. This had begun when I made the comment that it sounded like Spiritual warfare and the first piece of armor is the belt of truth.

Sometimes it's confusing when you read in the Bible about putting on the belt of truth, or, "you will know the truth and the truth will set you free". This word truth is misunderstood for the undeniable things that are happening in our life. But I don't believe that is what it means.

Sometimes the very real circumstances of my life trip me up and make me feel anything bur free. In fact they can make me feel in bondage. For instance, when I have sinned against God and the consequence of my sin has changed the landscape of my life, the truth goes beyond what I see and what I feel. I'm sure the children of Israel must have felt that they were hopeless when they were on their way to Babylon. They had disobeyed God. Not only had they not listened to the prophets they killed them! Now they were getting what they deserved. I would have felt that way if it were me. Yet, this is where I find God's reassurance,"For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for wholeness and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 So what is the truth here? God is bigger than my failures.

Sometimes I'm not only living with my own brokenness but the brokenness of those I love. I keep going back to the story of the father who brough his son to Jesus. What was the reality that the father was living with? Over and over and over again the father witnessed his son foaming at the mouth becoming rigid rolling into the fire or water. The father had tried everything. He had even brought his son to Jesus' disciples but they hadn't been able to help. This was his reality but what was the truth Jesus confronted him with? "All things are possible for one who believes."

Sometimes the circumstances of my life bind me and make me feel helpless. Sometimes my circumstances cause me to trip and lose my confidence of ever being able to succeed. But the scripture teaches me that truth should be worn like a belt to keep me from tripping and that truth is something that sets me free. The truth I read in James 4:2 is,"You do not have because you do not ask." Sometimes my payer reflects the prayer of the father who responded to Jesus by saying,"Lord, I believe help my unbelief." The truth is he hears my prayers and he understands my human weakness.

Whenever I need to see people who based their life on truth not circumstances I turn to Hebrews 11. There I read that the fact that Sarah and Abraham were past childbearing years did not keep them from the truth that He who had promised is faithful and is able to keep his promises. What I see in this chapter is that people who base their life on the truth of God are made strong out of weakness. I want to be like them and live beyond my circumstances and take hold of the truth of God.

Lord Jesus, the truth is I have this treasure in a jar of clay. Sometimes I am hard pressed, but never crushed. Sometimes I am perplexed, but not in despair. The truth is that the all surpassing power to live this Christian life is not from me but from you and you have promised to never leave me or forsake me. By this truth I choose to live regardless of how difficult my circumstances are.

2 comments:

  1. And sometimes the weight of the situation just calls for the truth that His mercies are new every morning. And that means that we just have to stop fighting for a while, cry like a child to it's father, reliving and then being relieved of the day's shortfallsand rest in grace in blissful sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The truth is our Redeemer Lives!

    ReplyDelete