Monday, August 15, 2011

I think God does give us more than we can handle

"God will never give me more than I can handle!"

I have lost count of how many times I've heard this statement. It has more often then not been followed by,"That's what the Bible teaches." Sometimes I just want to let it go but I can't so I say, "Actually, that verse is about temptations.'God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.'"1 Corinthians 10:13

I believe that the difficult things I encounter draw me into the love of God. The overwhelming circumstances of life cause me to seek a God outside myself. If God never gave me more than I could handle I would be God,wouldn't I?

What I believe is that nothing can separate me from the love of God. "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword?...No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loves us. For I am sure that neither death nor life nor angels nor rulers, nor things present not things to come, nor powers, nor heights nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:35-39 I believe this because I have asked Jesus to be my Savior.

The difficulties of this life do not show my independence but instead they show my dependence. God often gives me more than I can handle but never more than He can handle. When I encounter difficulties I also encounter a loving God. "When we were utterly helpless,Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners."Romans 5:6-8

Lord Jesus, thank you for coming to me when I was utterly helpless. Thank you for letting the trail of this life press deeper and deeper into your love. Thank you that neither death nor life can separate me from you love.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree - this always bothered me when someone would say it. Thanks for posting! Love you!

    Renee

    ReplyDelete