Friday, August 10, 2012

Nothing to Fear

 Even though I sometimes feel like I'm in control the truth is I'm not. I think that is one of the reasons why this verse is so comforting to me, "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trails of various kinds." (James 1:2)  I find this comforting because I see in the trail an invitation to know God on a deeper level. Every time I've encountered God in my suffering or trail I have been changed.

Not only am I not in control but when I am faced with trails I wasn't expecting I realize how little I know. In James after we are told to consider our trails joy we are also told that if we lack wisdom we can ask God for it. Part of the reason I can face uncertainty is because I have an invitation to draw on God's wisdom. When I encounter God's wisdom in the midst of my trail my faith deepens.

I see this in the life of Daniel when Nebuchadnezzar ordered the execution of all the wise men of Babylon. Daniel's response was to ask for time to pray. When God gave Daniel the wisdom he asked for this was his response, "He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him. I thank you, O God of my fathers: You have given me wisdom and power." (Daniel 2: 17-23)

When I look through the Bible at where people encountered God I see that it was most often during times of trails and testing. When Joseph spoke to his brothers who had sold him into slavery he said, "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good." (Genesis 50:20) I am not in control but God is and He invites me to count my trails as joy, when I do my faith grows and I know a peace that passes understanding.

I thank You Father because you reveal the deep and hidden things, You know what lies in darkness, and light dwells with You. I thank You Father because whenever I face a trail You give me the wisdom that I seek.

No comments:

Post a Comment