Monday, August 20, 2012

Tomorrow is Already Taken Care of

"Does anyone have a praise they would like to share?" There was silence and for a minute or two and I wondered if anyone was going to share anything. Then she stood up and told about her Bible study on the names of God. She told about her study of Jehovah Jireh. This wasn't her first time to study the name, she knew it meant "The Lord will provide" but this time it held a special meaning for her. This time she realized that the name Jehovah Jireh carried with it the idea that God had already provided for her need before she even knew about it. She was bound by time but God is not.

Abraham gave God the name Jehovah Jireh when he was ready to sacrifice his son Issac and God stayed his hand and showed him a ram caught in the thicket by his horns. In James 2:23 it says that Abraham was called a friend of God. Why? Abraham was God's friend because he trusted Him. He came to know God as the one who would provide because he walked in obedience. 

Jesus invited His followers to enter into this kind of friendship with God. Having this kind of friendship means  that I believe the literal meaning of Jehovah Jireh that the "Lord Who Provides" will take care of my needs. Jesus invited His followers to consider the lilies of the field and the birds of the air. He pointed out how God provided for the needs of all His creation and then He told His listeners not to be anxious. I don't know what I will need tomorrow but God not only knows the need He has already provided for it.

This truth is one that I need to be reminded of regularly. God has promised to, "supply every need of yours according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19) I know the name Jehovah Jireh, I know Abraham was called a friend of God because he trusted God to provide, I know that Jesus told His followers not to be anxious because God has tomorrow already taken care of, yet still I sometimes struggle. So today I choose to join my friend and praise God because although I am bound by time God is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment