Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Cure

Grumble. Mumble. Grumble, mumble, grumble. Every thought I had when I woke up this morning produced a negative emotion. That's when I remembered what Grandma Frizzy taught me.

When I was a teenager I became part of a group that adopted grandparents. I thought at the time I was doing a good deed by going to visit a lonely elderly lady who had no family. Every week I would go visit her in her room. That's all she had was a room, a room and the lessons she had learned in life. Her room was filled with old pictures, old furniture and a since of peace that made me want to visit her week after week.

One foggy Autumn day I went to visit Grandma Frizzy. I felt sad a depressed she noticed my emotional state and started telling me stories. Her stories opened a window into her life that I could look through. She had gone through many difficulties and yet each trail had brought her deeper and deeper in this peace that I experienced each time I walked into her room. Then she looked directly into my eyes and asked if I would like to know her secret.

"Sarah, when the sorrows of life tie a loop around my ankle and begin to drag me down to the dungeon of despair I fight!" Slowly she got up from her chair and walked over to her bedside table and got a slip of paper. She handed me the paper with these words printed on it, "By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to His name." (Hebrews 13:15) So she taught me her secret.

Father, thank you for the people who shared their life and examples with me. Thank You for the truth that when I offer the sacrifice of praise regardless of how I feel You come to me with peace.
And thank You for Grandma Frizzy who gave me more than I could have ever given her. Please let me share with others the lessons of life that I have learned by walking with You.

No comments:

Post a Comment