Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Secret Things Belong to the Lord

"The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law."(Deuteronomy 29:29) It's a holy habit I formed years ago, to begin the day by reading God's Word. A habit is an action that is repeated day after day so that after a while you don't even think about it you just do it. So when I wake up I start my day by I look for the things God has revealed in His word. 

"It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings." (Proverbs 25:2) Every year I try to read through the Bible from Genesis to Revelation toady my reading was in Ezekiel I have to confess that's some heavy reading. Last year I did an inductive study in the book of Ezekiel and it helped me understand what I'm reading a little better. Why do I keep reading even when it's hard to understand, not just because it's a holy habit but also because I believe that searching out what God has said gives me understanding I could get no other way.

"Surely the Sovereign Lord does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets." ( Amos 3:7) I am fascinated by this verse. To think that the plans of God have been revealed in the prophets and I have access to those books fills me with wonder. In my life the bi-product of reading the prophets year after year has been perspective. When I read the prophets I feel like I am looking at a globe and I can understand a little better how everything fits together in the bigger story of God's love that is being told.

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness."(2 Timothy 3:16) It's not just the big picture I need I also need to know how to navigate my way in this world. What is right? What is wrong? Sometimes I can get very confused but when I turn to the words God breathed I find myself being taught, often rebuked and then corrected. I find a deep since of security in the truth that I can go to the words God inspired and be instructed in how to live a righteous life.

Father, I know the secret things belong to You but I come to You today because You have given me an invitation to come. You have not only give me Your word You have also given me Your Holy Spirit to teach me. Morning by morning I am invited to come into Your presence to receive what You have given. Father, never let me loose the wonder of this invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment