Thursday, August 30, 2012

I Don't Have To Keep That Record

I begin my day by choosing what to remember about the day that has just past. I make a conscious choice not to record the hurtful or offensive things that happen. Twenty four hours in a day can hold a variety of experiences and I don't want to keep a record of everything. My memories will be shaped by the records I keep so I choose to discard the hurtful ones. "Love keeps no record of wrongs."(1 Corinthians 13:5) NIV

I've been uncluttering my house getting ready for my daughter's wedding. She wanted to have the reception at home. The first thing I had to do before I could even start cleaning was to get rid of things that were just taking up space. My friend told me that if it didn't have beauty, if it wasn't valuable or useful, if it didn't have sentimental value to get rid of it. I used this guideline and when I finished a room I felt like prisoner that had been released. "Love isn't irritable and it keeps no record of being wronged." (1 Corinthians 13:5) NLT

One of the by products of getting rid of the clutter in my home was that I was able to see the things I have that are beautiful,valuable, useful and have deep sentimental value. They had gotten lost under the pile of clutter. My memories are like that too. "Love does not take into an account a wrong suffered." (1 Corinthians 13:5) NASB

I saved a lot of time when I got rid of the things I'd been holding onto that weren't beautiful, valuable or useful. I hadn't realized how much time it took to maintain all those things, cleaning them, moving them around, tripping over them. I know this same freedom in my spirit when I choose to not hold onto things that cripple me emotionally. "Love does not insist on it's own way; it is not irritable or resentful." ( 1Corinthians 1:5) ESV

Father, thank You for freeing me from the burden of keeping a record of the hurtful things that happen in life. Thank You, for providing me the grace that is necessary to be set free from the web of  offensive memories that would entangle me. And Father let this freedom from holding onto wrongs that are suffered be a blessing my daughter and her new husband take with them into their married life.

No comments:

Post a Comment