Friday, August 17, 2012

A Deeper Understanding

All week long he worked and worked hard but when Sunday came he belonged to us. Some of my favorite childhood memories were made on Sunday afternoons when my Daddy would change from his business suit into his casual clothes and get down on the floor and play with us. When I became a teenager I recognized my Father as a man who was strict and had very high standers for his children.  However, whether I was playing with my Daddy on the floor or being disciplined by my Father as a teenager I knew he loved me.

I wonder what it sounded like to hear God walking in the garden in the cool of the day. The fellowship Adam and Eve had known with their creator in the beginning must have like the relationship I had with my Daddy when I was a little girl. Then I read about this same God who walked in garden in the cool of the day to meet with Adam and Eve described in Daniel. "As I looked, thrones were placed, and the Ancient of days took his seat; his clothing was white as snow, and the hair of his head like pure wool; his throne was fiery flames; its wheels were burning fire." (Daniel 7:9)

I have always loved the picture of John leaning on Jesus at the last Supper. John describes himself as "the one whom Jesus loved" I can see how he would feel this way, though I also believe that each of the disciples would see themselves in that description. Later in John's life he gives us a different picture of Jesus. "In the midst of the lamp stands one like the son of man, clothed with a long robe and a golden sash around his chest. The hairs of his head were white like wool, as white as snow, His eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined in a furnace, and his voice was like the roar of many waters." (Revelation 13-15)

When the Bible describes love in 1 Corinthians 13 it says, "When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. when I became a man, I gave up childish ways. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known." Ever since I was thirteen I have been reading the Bible year after year what I have seen from Genesis to Revelation is the love of God being revealed in a deeper and deeper way.

Heavenly Father, thank You for Your love whether I experiences it in the cool of the evening in a garden like a child who plays with her father or as a woman awed by Your holiness. Year after year I have seen the truth of the Scripture that says, "God is love." 

No comments:

Post a Comment