Thursday, August 16, 2012

A Place of Safety

I remember the first time I heard the preacher talk about the fear of the Lord. He explained that the fear of the Lord is to have reverence and respect for who God is. When I have a fear of the Lord it is because I understand my relationship to Him. He is the creator and I am the created. He is the Lord and I am His servant. He is the father and I am His child.

Oswald Chambers said, "The remarkable thing about fearig God is that, when you fear God, you fear nothing else; wheras, if you do not fear God, you fear everythig else." Webster's Dictionary defines fear as "a feeling of anxiety and agitation produced by the presence or nearness of danger, evil, pain etc." I often feel this since of fear when I am in situations I have no control over. Since I have little or no control over most situations I could experience this constantly if it weren't for my relationship with the only one who is in control.

"Oh, how abundant is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you and worked for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of the children of mankind!" ( Psalm 31:19) This reminds me of something that happened this week. My daughter got a trampoline for her children to play on, it was a surprise. She told them to go clean their rooms while it was being assembled. One of her children disobeyed her, there was a lack of reverence and respect, because of the disobedience she had to disciplined the child instead of letting that child play on the new trampoline. That child could only watch as the other children enjoyed the gift that had been given them. What I see is that when I fear the Lord there is both obedience and blessing. When I don't fear the Lord there is anxiety and agitation.

When I am afraid I have to do inventory and figure out where I am failing to trust God or relate to Him properly. When I truly humble myself and seek refuge in who He is I find both protection and blessing. Living on a farm I sometimes see the baby chicks finding refuge under the wing of their mother. This reminds me of Psalm 5:11 "But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them, that those who love your name may rejoice in you."

Heavenly Father, when I am afraid help me to put my trust in You. Thank You that when I seek refuge in You I am never turned away. Thank You for the good plans You have for my life help me to always relate to You with reverence and respect.

2 comments:

  1. What a blessing this was to me today. I have been pondering the fear of the Lord this morning, and then opened FB to read this. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you were blessed, thank you for your encouragement.

      Delete