Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Untangling Weedy Thoughts

Sometimes I have to talk to myself and tell myself the truth. I have to do this because my mind becomes entangled  with negative thoughts like a garden overgrown by weeds. Yesterday was one of those days. As I tried to free my flowers from their weedy prison I was also trying to free my my mind from dark oppressive thoughts.

Sometimes while I talking to myself saying, "Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you in turmoil within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."(Psalm 43:5) I find other people listening in. Yesterday, my grandson joined me in my weedy garden. I was sitting on a little stool, dripping sweat, with both my hands wrapped around the weeds I was yanking out of the garden. But our conversation was about hope.

I refuse to surrender my garden to the weeds and I refuse to surrender my mind to the discouraging thoughts that bring sadness with them. Sometimes it helps me to have someone listen as I choose to talk about my hope in God. Psalm 22:3 says that God inhabits the praises of His people. I told Jack that the stem that bears thorns produces a rose. It amazes me sometimes how talking to children can help me refocus on the truth.

Jack left me for a little while, but when he returned he brought with him a cup of cool water, an umbrella and an electric fan he had plugged into an extension cord. He sat beside me again, holding the umbrella, and ready to hear more about the goodness of God. When my heart is filled with praise I can see God more clearly and I find others who want to see Him too.

Tank You Father, for being my Savior. Thank You because even when my heart feels bound by negative thoughts You come to my rescue.  I can put my hope in You and share that hope with others. Oh, yes, and thank You for grandchildren who come with cool water and umbrellas.

No comments:

Post a Comment