Monday, August 13, 2012

I Choose to Rejoice

Sometimes I become discouraged. Doubts begin to haunt me. I see my failures and they seem to blot out everything else on the horizon. When I feel this blanket of despair beginning to smother me  I talk to myself using God's words, "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say Rejoice." (Philippians 4: 4)

This is how I choose to rejoice I stop focusing on how I feel and I tell myself the truth. "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." ( Isaiah 41:10)

The passage in Philippians that issues the command to "Rejoice," also issues the command, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything let your requests be known to God." When I walk in God's truth and not according to my feeling I make the choice to believe the promises of God. I reach out my hand and by faith take hold of the hand extended to me. I pour out all that is in my heart. I do not just rehash why I am discouraged I accept the strength that is not my own with a thankful heart.

This process is one of the ways I experience God. When I choose to walk in the truth the peace comes. This peace then guards both my heart and my mind in Christ Jesus. Because I can only think about one thing at a time I choose to think about, "Whatever is true, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence,if there is anything worthy of praise," (Philippians 4:8) these are things I choose to fill my mind with.

Father, thank You for the invitation to Rejoice in You. Thank You for the truth than You are with me and You give me Your strength. Thank You for the gift of prayer and for the gift of Your Spirit that enables me to know peace.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, I just heard Gary Smalley on the radio a second ago saying, from Mt. 5:12, to rejoice and be glad in persecution because it's producing pearls (great reward in heaven).... I keep seeing where we are admonished to rejoice and give thanks..., for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus according to I Thess. 5:16-18. We can't rejoice and give thanks, and at the same time be discouraged and fearful! Thanks for your post.

    ReplyDelete