Wednesday, March 16, 2011

All I wanted was a Sunday afternoon nap!

I always looked forward to Sunday afternoons that's when I would take a glorious nap. That's why I didn't respond favorably when my husband said,"Don't you think it would be nice to ask that young couple to start coming home with us after church to spend the afternoon.?". I liked the couple and they had an adorable little baby but we were talking about my giving up my nap! What on earth was wrong with my husband anyway!

I talked to God about it,"Lord, you know You said Sunday was to be a day of rest. I really want to rest but even more I want to obey you. So if You want us to have company I surrender my will to You."We had company. From the first time they came for the day it was obvious that this was God's will.

I became Aunt Sadie to that cute little baby. She took her first steps in my living room. I was in the room when my friend's son was born and her last child was named after me. I think my friendship has been well worth the sacrifice of a Sunday afternoon nap.

I heard a story once about a little girl who had a necklace made of plastic beads. She loved her necklace and wore it always. She wore it so much that the paint came off the beads and the plastic showed through. Rather unattractive but the little girl didn't care she just wanted her beads.

This little girl was very loved by her father. He noticed how much she liked her beads and decided to do something special for her .He bought her a beautiful strand of genuine pearls. He held the pearls in a velvet bag behind his back. With his other hand he reached out to his daughter and asked her to give him the plastic beads she was wearing.

She clutched at her beads. She didn't want to take them off. He stood their looking at her with love in his eyes. Finally with tears falling down her face she removed the plastic. Her father placed in her hands the velvet bag containing the pearls.

What is at the heart of my stories it is this. Do I really believe that God loves me and can I trust Him.

2 comments:

  1. it's so hard to open our hands and let the "pretties" of this world fall away, even when we're waiting for God to pour out his blessings into our open hands.

    ReplyDelete