Saturday, March 12, 2011

"For such a time as this"

I am sure there are some who would think I was only wasting my time. Back then I only had one daughter and her spiritual life was very important to me. I went to the Christian book store and spent a long time looking at all the books, talking to clerk and of course praying. I had decided to have a Bible Club for my four year old daughter and her two friends.

I spent hours preparing for this little class.  I would read the material, plan a game to go with the lesson and  gather materials for the craft. I had memory verses each week and take home pictures to go with the verse. I thought I was ready but I never knew a five year old could ask such hard questions!

Justin always amazed me. When he was just a little boy strapped into a car seat, I would try to entertain him and the other children by pointing out things  I thought would interest them. "Children, look we are going under a bridge!', then from the back seat came a little voice,' I believe that is called a train tress-ail." Undaunted I tried again,"Look at the smoke in the sky.',only to be countered with Justin saying, 'Isn't that air vapor produced by the plane." So I gave up and asked him a simple question,"Justin, what do you want to be when you grow up?" He looked up at me and said,"A paleontologist". I confess I had to go home and look it up in the dictionary.

It was many years past the time of our back yard Bible Club when I got a call from Justin. He was to be the valedictorian of his senior high school class. He wanted to know where the verse,"Trust in the Lord with all your  heart ,lean not to your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your path.",was in the Bible. Proverbs 3:5,6 had always been one of my favorite verses and I was delighted to share it with him.

The path that Justin believed God was leading him on took him to Japan. While in Seminary he began studying Japaneses. He felt drawn to the language the people and the culture. Two years ago he married Izumi and moved there.

When I woke up yesterday to the news of the terrible earthquake in Japan all I could think about was,"Justin is there". He was able to contact his mother and let her know that he and his wife were okay.

I am asking everyone to pray with me for  all those in Japan. Pray with me also for Justin who is there,"For such a time as this."Esther 4:14

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, thanks so much for your encouragement and prayers. And for all you have done for me and my family over the years. All the facts that I knew as a kid aren't worth much compared during such a time as this. All I can do is trust in the Lord with all of my heart...

    ReplyDelete