Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I lied

" Sarah, are you reading my book." "Yes!", I replied. This would have been the correct response if he had asked, "Do you want to read my book" or " Do you plan to read my book." The problem was that in response to his question ,"Are you reading my book" I lied. I was talking to a man I highly respect who is the author of a book I really want to read. I didn't want to look bad in his eyes so I sought  refuge in a lie.

To this day I remember the first time I found salvation in a lie. I was standing in front of my very angry grandmother. She was holding a broken glass and asking me," Sarah, did you break this glass!" It was as if I had an out of body experience. I thought to myself, " The only thing I have to do to get out of being punished is say,'No'." It seemed like a good plan to me and it worked! The only problem was that by using this way of escape I became a liar.

The only way to really understand the problem with lying is to see what God says about it. Proverbs 12:22 puts it bluntly, "Lying lips are an abomination to the Lord." Jesus said," I am...The truth."John 14:6 John 8:44 describes the devil's character: "He [the devil] was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature; for he is a liar, and the father of lies."

It seems Satan is always ready to offer me salvation a way of escape. If I do it his way I will look good and be able to keep my pride. Jesus offers me Himself as my Savior, His way is the way of truth, humility and righteousness. In fact Jesus said,"If any would be my disciple he must deny himself daily take up his cross and follow me." I see my choices this way either I follow Jesus or I follow Satan. Because I have chosen to follow Jesus I have also chosen to write a letter that goes something like this," Dear ____, I lied..."

There is only one antidote for a lie and that is the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment