Monday, March 7, 2011

Don't be afraid to grieve

I was standing at the sink washing dishes. The feeling of grief was so strong I just wanted to escape. I found myself wanting to disconnect from the painful emotions.  In the background I could hear my children's voices and I realized that if I emotionally disconnected from my grief  I would not be able to be emotionally connected with them. I chose instead to walk through the valley of death with tears in my eyes but not alone.

I didn't want to grieve because I din't want to be vulnerable. I liked to be in control, control of situations and in control of my emotions. The problem was if  I chose not to feel the pain of grief  I would put a wall around my heart and not only would I not be able to feel my grief  I would also isolate myself from everyone's grief, including my children's.

So where do I turn when I feel this pain where can I go for comfort? I turn to Jesus. "He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering....Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows....But he was pierced for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed...For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressor." Isaiah 53

I grieve but not without hope. Hope is a confident expectation of good. In my seasons of grieving I experience comfort. I know that,"weeping endures for the night but joy comes in the morning."Psalm 30:5  Because I have experienced not only the weeping but the joy I can share this truth with my children.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah, I am so thankful for you my friend. What great consolation there is as Jesus is with us in the midst of our deepest hurts. We have a Great Shepherd who never leaves us or forsakes us. You remind me of this often. I am so very thankful for you! Do you think we might carve out some time to pray together this week before I head to CO?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yet another way you've lead by example, mommy. when i've walked through the valley of death, even when the rest of my family was sharing the very same grief, the walls on either side of my valley were so high and my path so narrow that no one could walk with me.
    thank you for showing me the one that walks with me.

    ReplyDelete