Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Seeing what is unseen

" Oh, my lord, what shall we do?" the servant asked. "Don't be afraid," the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." And Elisha prayed,"O Lord, open his eyes so he may see." Then the Lord opened the servant's eyes and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. 2 Kings 6:15-17

I put my Bible down  sighed and prayed, "Lord, I wish I could see your angles." I identified more with Elisha's servant than I did Elisha. At that time I had a teenage daughter and son and two younger children. Sometimes the world just seemed like a very scary place and to be honest I was afraid for my children.

On this particular morning I had several errands to do. I strapped my two youngest children into their car seats and set off. My first stop was to drop some books off at the library it was a cold rainy day in January so I decided not to get the children out of the van. I got out of the van put the books into the return slot turned around and saw my van rolling away with my screaming children inside it!

I ran after it and yanked the door opened. I was praying all the while,"God help me!"While trying to stop the van I also thought," This is how people get run over by their own cars." About that time I got smacked in the face by the door. I fell to the pavement and watched as my van rolled uphill back into a parking lot and then back again into a parking place where it was stopped by a small tree.

After that I had a huge black eye and was rather sore because of my fall. I realized that I could spend the day berating myself for being such a bad mother or I could spend the day praising God for protecting my children. I choose to do the latter.

I didn't see angels or fiery chariots that day nor did I see who was steering my van but I think I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment