Friday, March 11, 2011

I want to do it MY way

I was offended but I didn't want to be offended. I know what the Bible teaches,"If your brother sins against you,go and show him his fault..."Matthew 18:15  Do you know how awkward that is? I decided it would be much better if I simply worked it out on my own.

I had begun to be obsessive about the offence so I decided to meditate on Scriptures about forgiveness. My problem was that my mind kept going back to Matthew 18:15. I did not want to meditate on that one. I tried praying but I couldn't focus because I just kept being mad about what had happened. This went on for an embarrassingly long amount of time.

What I prefer to do when people hurt me is to build a plastic wall between me and them. I can see them and they can see me but they can't hurt me again. There is a problem with this solution, there is also no intimacy. To have inmate relationships I have to be vulnerable. If  I am not vulnerable I am isolated. Not to mention the fact that I am also choosing to disobey God's word.

I couldn't stand it any longer, sitting in the grocery store parking lot I called my friend. I explained how my feelings had been hurt. I wish I could say it was easy but it wasn't. It was simply obedient. My friend was kind she understood the wall was removed.

Would it have mattered if her response had been different? No, this wasn't only about how she responded to me it was really about how I responded to the Word of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment