Monday, April 9, 2012

Be Kind

It was one of the first Bible verses I taught my children. I taught it to them in self defense. “Be kind “ Ephesians 4. I often shouted it at my children from the driver's seat of the car when they were behind me fighting, “BE KIND!” Lately, our family has been going through a difficult time and I have found myself going to Ephesians 4 over and over to remind myself to, “Be kind.” I have also had to stop and think, “What does kindness really mean?”

How elementary is kindness really? It was always my starting place in teaching my children I wanted them to be kind. I find in Proverbs that what is desirable in a man is his kindness. Kindness is also translated as unfailing love, steadfast love, and loyalty. Having demanded kindness of my children, I have a confession, I am not by nature a kind person.

When life becomes difficult or I am hurting my natural inclination is to be selfish and to want others to focus on my needs. This is a problem when everyone is is going through a hard time. Where can I go to find the kindness that I need? How can I change my natural inclination to be selfish and have instead a sweet temper that focuses on easing the pain of those around me?

Kindness is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. Jesus told me that if I wanted to be His disciples I needed to deny myself, take up my cross and follow Him. What I see is that this difficult time is an opportunity to do just that. I want to be a disciple of Jesus therefore I choose to deny my selfish tenancy and instead surrender my will to the will of the Holy Spirit. I want to clothe myself with kindness.

Lord Jesus, You came because of the tender mercy of God. You have shown me by example what kindness looks like. I have been comforted by Your love. I have known Your tenderness and compassion. Thank You for giving me an opportunity to extend this kindness to others. Please let me represent You well.


No comments:

Post a Comment