Sunday, April 22, 2012

Finding A Refuge In The Stillness

There are two chair facing West at the top of the hill, as the evening begins to cool and the Sun begins to set he and I make our way out once more to take our place. We sit in companionable silence each lost in his own thoughts. At first I'm almost worried that my vision might be hurt, the brilliant orb seems shining directly in my eyes, but as we continue watching the Sun slips behind the mountains. The air is cooled but the beautiful display of colors warms our heart. Darkness begins to blanket the earth, but still we sit, the beauty feeding our souls. I lift my eyes to the heavens coming through the darkness now there is the glow of the evening star. Reluctantly we stand to go.

In the stillness and the quiet of those moments our hearts find the strength to continue our vigil at the bedside of his dying wife. We have whispered the words night after night as we watched the Sun set,”Be still and know that I am God...” Psalms 46:10 We have also found the beginning words of the Psalm to be true as well. “God is our refuge and our strength, a very present help in trouble.” The chairs are set side by side we sit together at the bed and remember. The grief and pain are real but so is the strength we find in the stillness of the night and the knowledge that we are not alone, surely our God is a very present help.

This is not a place any of us would ever choose to be but it's not a place we can escape, death comes to us all. My daughter has dubbed this peculiar time we are in “Heaven's Waiting Room.” Many things are happening as we sit and in the stillness and wait. Quietly we are sitting together bound by love, by faith, by hope. Tonight I asked the question, “What is the chief end of man?” Without a pause my ninety one year old Father in Law responded, “The chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever.” So here we sit together even now praying that God will be glorified and finding our hearts comforted at the prospects of enjoying Him forever.

Tomorrow morning I will look toward the East and watch the Sun rise. I will remind myself of the promise of the Resurrection.

1 comment:

  1. So very, very lovely! Your writing is just lovely, Sarah. I remember keeping this vigil with my grandmother when she was dying. Like your mother-in-law, she *lived* her dying very powerfully. Her patience, her calm witnessed mightily to those of us left behind. Know that you and Stephen, and all your family, are in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete