Monday, April 2, 2012

By A Charcoal Fire...

“A smell can bring on a flood of memories, influence people's moods and even affect their work performance. Because the olfactory bulb is part of the brain's limbic system, an area so closely associated with memory and feeling it's sometimes called the “emotional brain,” smell can call up memories and powerful responses almost instantaneously.” I found this in an article written by Sarah Dowdey on “How Smell Works” Do you think Jesus knew that when He chose to make a charcoal fire to cook the fish on for his disciples after His resurrection?

The word for charcoal is only used twice in the New Testament the other time it is used was when Peter was warming himself by a charcoal fire. He was warming himself by the charcoal fire when he denied that he knew Jesus. The rooster crowed, it was early morning on the day Jesus was to be crucified. The smell of charcoal burning would forever awaken in Peter's “emotional brain” that he failed.

I wonder if a rooster crowed just as the day was breaking and Jesus stood on the shore by the Sea of Tiberias? It was after Jesus had risen from the dead. His disciples had decided to go fishing when He appeared on the shore. Peter had rushed to greet Him. Jesus had prepared a charcoal fire with fish laid out on it. I wonder if He was warming Himself by the fire on that early morning? Surly since Peter had jumped into the water he too would need the warmth of that charcoal fire.

The last time they had eaten together Jesus had told Peter that he would deny Him. The last time Peter had warmed himself by a charcoal fire he had denied Jesus, not once but three times. Now with Peter's”emotional brain” screaming “FAILURE!”Jesus asks him a question three times. “Simon,son of John, do you love me?” Three times by a charcoal fire he had denied his Lord early in the morning. Three times by a charcoal fire Jesus invited him to affirm his love early in the morning.

Lord Jesus, You are my Redeemer. You came and bore my grief's and carried my sorrows. You were wounded for my transgressions, you were bruised for my iniquities; the chastisement for my peace was upon You, and by Your stripes I am healed. You heal the brokenhearted. Just like Peter I have failed You. Just like Peter I have found in You a Redeemer.

No comments:

Post a Comment