Saturday, April 28, 2012

I Come

Sometimes I come into His presence like a child on a treasure hunt. I have watched my children this week as they have delighted themselves with hidden family heirlooms. Boxes and boxes of old letters written years ago. Pictures, old coins, trinkets of the past all with meaning that help them to unlock the stories of their ancestors. Sometimes I open God's word and I spend hours seeking to understand all that I find, doing word studies, tracing an idea through out the scripture, studying the historical context.

Sometimes I come into His presence like a child who is over whelmed by life. The world seems so big and I feel so small. Often I will slip away by myself and sit in the stillness and remember that He is God and I am not. I let the beauty of nature speak to me of it's Creator. Often this happens at night and I will sit in the stillness and the quiet of the night and listen because, “The Heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they reveal knowledge.” Psalm 19. I sit in the stillness and listen until I can hear His voice and my heart becomes quiet and at rest.

Sometimes I come into His presence so aware of my failures that I can barely lift my head. This is when I rest in God's unfailing love. I come into His presence not because of my great love for Him but because He has loved me with a faithful, and steadfast love. God has lavished His love on me and has entered into a covenant of love with me and has called me His child. Though I have often stumbled and failed in my love for Him I always find in His presence a God of tenderness and compassion, one who is slow to anger and rich in faithful love.

Sometimes I come into His presence to soothe and quiet my soul. “I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.” Psalm 131. I come knowing that when I am in His presence I am fully known, completely understood, and unconditionally loved.

Lord Jesus, because of Your invitation I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment