Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Before The Throne Of Unapproachable Light I Cry, "Abba"

It was two in the morning when he came to wake me. My husband and I are caring for his mother during her last days on earth. She was uncomfortable we worked together until she was resting. I got back in bed and my mind was flooded with anxiety. I would like to say that because the Bible says, “Be anxious about nothing” that I am never anxious but then I would be lying and the Bible also says, “Do not lie.” What I can say is that when I am anxious I am drawn irresistibly before the throne of grace.

Have you ever had your heart so full that you felt you just had to talk to someone but then you notice as you were talking they really weren't listening? Or have you ever been at a counselors office and you were just beginning to be able to put words to your pain and they looked at their watch and said, “Times up.” That would be the opposite of what I experience when I go to God in prayer. “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace in time of need.” Hebrew 4:16

Sometimes I sit in silence with the things that weigh my heart down who could help anyway? But when I go to God in prayer I picture Him on His throne. “He wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent.” Psalm 104:2 “He dwells in unapproachable light” 1 Timothy 6:16 His throne is in appearance like sapphire His voice is like the sound of mighty rushing waters. According to Ezekiel there is brightness all around Him and there is a rainbow that encircles His throne. To this throne of grace I have been invited to this throne of grace I come. Bathed in His light and love I find the welcome that a father gives to his child. Surrounded by His glory He invites me to lay my burden down and know His rest. As the light of His glory penetrates my tears I see the colors of a rainbow and I find comfort in His promises.

How can someone like me have access to such glory? I am a mere mortal and stained by sin and yet I come because I have been invited. I don't have to come I could sit in the darkness overwhelmed by grief and sorrow but because of the sacrificial death of Jesus I come with confidence to this holy place.
I come by the new and living way that He opened for me through the curtain, which is through His flesh. I know according to the book of Hebrews that because Jesus is my high priest I can draw near to God with full assurance. I have been invited through grace to come and by faith I have accepted the invitation.

Lord Jesus, in the middle of my night my heart was full of darkness and anxiety about things I could not control. Thank You for inviting me before the throne of grace to lay my burden down. Thank You for lavishing You love on me so that when I look at the one who is seated on the throne I can cry, “Abba, Father!”

No comments:

Post a Comment