Monday, April 30, 2012

Grieve? We Grieve, But Not Without Hope!

I got the message. It was from my nine year old grandson, “Mimi, come quick I need you!” I rushed to his side and found him sobbing uncontrollably on his bed. With a broken voice washed in tears he cried out, “I want to hear her voice again! I want to hold her! I want her to hold my hand!” My heart broke and my tears mingled with his as we lay there holding each other. No words, only shared grief, because grief is real, and grief is painful.

Tears must flow because death is an enemy, the last enemy. I am gently and slowly telling Jack the truth. “The last enemy that will be abolished is death.” I have more to share with this precious child who, it seems to me, has known more than his share of grief. I softly whisper a mystery into his ear, hoping that it will take root in both his heart and his soul.”Behold! I tell you a mystery. We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed.” (1 Corinthians 15:51)

There is another grief I am aware of. Although we speak of the joy of this Christian couple who shared in a Marriage Covenant that lasted 64 years, not every one has had this blessing There is the grief of the broken home, the broken promises, the broken hearts. There is the grief of broken parents from generations of brokenness, those who have not known the love of the Savior. My heart grieves with them as well; my eyes are not dry when I think of their pain. 

But I know a secret. “God sets the lonely in families...” (Psalm 68:6) Our family has always had an open door policy. We have always sought to be inclusive. For years the question has been asked, “Do you know anyone who will be alone that we can invite to join us.” Oh, but there is something far better than being included in our family. Jesus said, “In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?” (John 14) Jesus has invited us to share His home. In that same chapter he said, “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.”

Lord Jesus, because you came to bear our grief and carry our sorrows we have hope. We still grieve on this side of eternity because of empty chairs and empty places but we don't grieve like those who have no hope.


1 comment: