Friday, September 14, 2012

A Friend Of God

This morning I woke up with a jumble of thoughts but they all they all had the same theme. This has been a very eventful year in my life and I guess my subconscious mind was working to understand all that is going on even when I sleep. The theme of the night was being a friend of God.

I thought about Abraham and the journey of faith God took him on. I thought about how the Lord told Abraham to leave what was familiar and to follow Him. Abraham was promised a son yet had to wait till he old to have that promise fulfilled. I thought about how God told Abraham His plans and how Abraham interceded for Sodom saying, "Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just?"(Genesis 18:25) Abraham's faith in who God is was seen in his hope, in his patience and in his prayers. Abraham was called a friend of God.

When Jesus was about to leave His disciples He told them that they were not just His servants they were His friends. The disciples had gone on a journey with Jesus and in the process they had learned to trust Him. Because they believed what He told them after His resurrection they were able to be joyful in hope, patient in affliction and faithful in prayer.

My journey with God began many years ago. Every difficult situation I have encountered has been like an invitation to experiences God's faithfulness. Because I have experiences God's faithfulness in the past I find I can rejoice in hope today. It's easier to be patient in affliction since I have encountered His comfort in past difficulties. I have also been invited to participate in what God is doing in my life through prayer.

Father, my life has been a journey of coming to know You. Please help me to abide in Your love and share that love with others. Thank You for being my friend.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete