Thursday, September 6, 2012

My Journey of Faith

When I was a little girl I loved to go to church. The door to the church opened to a Spiritual world that was as real to me as the physical world. When I spent the night with my grandmother I would cuddle in bed with her as she read the Bile out loud with a voice full of wonder. It seemed like a foreign language to me but I found it to be the language of peace. When I was young I saw a picture of a little girl resting her head on Jesus' lap, when I would go to bed at night I pretended  I was the little girl in the picture and my pillow was Jesus' lap.

When I became a teenager I began to read the Bible for myself. I was very blessed to have exciting Bible teachers. I met Kay Author when she had only been a christian for five years. Every week I would look forward to learning more of the mysteries from Bible. Every day began with my mother, sister and I reading and sharing together the treasures we found in God's Word.

When I turned the corner from being a child to becoming an adult the tests of faith began. At eighteen I had a life altering illness. When I married my husband he had cancer and began chemo therapy the month after our wedding. There were times during our first year of marriage I wasn't sure if he would live. I have known the grief of standing at the graveside of one of my babies. I have known the wounds that cause the question, "God are You there?"

What I have found true in my life is in the dark times God's light shines the brightest. One of my favorite Scriptures is found in Lamentations "The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness(Lamentations 3:22)  To lament is to express grief or sorrow and in the places of my life where I have experienced this kind of grief I have also experienced God's mercy.

Father, thank You for today. I do not know what I will encounter today but I know Your steadfastness love will be there. I thank You in advance for the new mercies I will find.

No comments:

Post a Comment